The properties of vegetable oils are well established. Indeed, they are used more and more widely, either with other ingredients in the recipes of home-made cosmetics or pure. Moisturising, nourishing, they are also the ideal base to sublime essential oils. You soon won’t be able to do without them!
A vegetable oil is derived from plants. Unlike essential oils, which come from aromatic plants, vegetable oils come from oil plants. The word oil comes from the Latin olegao meaning “which contains oil”. This type of plant contains seeds or fruits rich in fat.
How are they obtained?
Several techniques are available today to make vegetable oils. Here are the main ones:
- Cold pressure extraction: this technique is the most respectful of the plant and the most natural. The plant or fruit is cold pressed with a hydraulic press. It is with this manufacturing process that the best quality virgin oil is obtained.
- Hot manufacturing: this method is more industrial. Mechanical extraction is also used. The seeds are slightly heated and then the oil is extracted by hot pressing. This process allows to obtain an oil of excellent quality but is more technical.
- Solvent extraction: here, the steps are more complex because it is a chemical manufacturing process. The pressing of the seeds or fruits is associated to a heating process and the addition of a solvent. It is also a longer process.
Vegetable oils are a concentrate of nature’s unmatched powers. They can bring us lasting and powerful benefits. Easy to use, they penetrate well into the skin for cosmetic use. Because they are rich in fatty acids, they are also an excellent diffusion support for essential oils. They can also be very tasty in your plate (soy, coconut or even sesame oil) !
Vegetable oils can have various uses in cosmetics: body, face or hair products. They are a 100% natural alternative to more industrial products.
It would be a shame to miss out on their many benefits :
- For the face: moisturising, nourishing, they can also preserve the youthfulness of the skin. They prevent skin dryness and limit the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- For the body: they deeply nourish the skin. They are very interesting to boost cell regeneration, they are also able to repair the skin (stretch marks, burns or scars) and promote drainage.
- For the hair: they stimulate growth, reduce hair loss and provide complete nutrition to your hair. They have exceptional powers on your hair! They are also able to straighten unruly hair, give volume, purify oily hair, they work wonders.
Advice and precautions
To guarantee an optimal result, it is very important to choose the right vegetable oil and to use it carefully. Even if the use of a vegetable oil has few contraindications. Here are the criteria you must take into account before you start:
- Pregnancy/breastfeeding: just like essential oils, vegetable oils must not be used by pregnant women during the first trimester, and their use is not recommended during the rest of the pregnancy. They may cause a miscarriage or have a neurotoxic effect.
- Cancer sufferers: if you are under treatment, we advise you not to use vegetable oils without medical advice. Some use may be possible in individual cases.
- Allergies: if you suffer from allergies, we advise you to test each oil before using them. Extracted from plants and fruits, these can cause allergies and seizures, especially oils extracted from nuts.
Do you want to better understand these sumptuous self-care elixirs? Our range of vegetable oils consists of 4 oils with extraordinary properties: castor oil, coconut oil, argan oil and avocado oil. So, what are you waiting for?